Phlebotomy is an essential part of the healthcare industry. Doctors need to take blood samples to detect the reason behind patients’ sickness or diseases such as liver function. Blood samples are also taken in annual physicals in order to track symptoms of any disease that might occur in future.
Blood tests are performed for various reasons such as
- To find the reason behind patient’s illness
- To measure the hemoglobin quantity in blood
- To identify blood types
- To do the blood counts (red cells, white cells and platelets)
- To find any symptoms for future disease
- Genetic testing
At Internal Medicine Associates. PC, we provide onsite blood draw service for the fast and convenient lab tests. However, physician’s referral is required for blood draw.
It is a brief process in which blood is drawn by inserting needle into the vein.
- Physicians locate the most suitable vein for blood draw.
- Prior to puncture, site is cleaned properly with an antiseptic or alcohol.
- After cleaning, a tourniquet or band is secured around patient’s arm to create pressure and increase the blood circulation.
- Puncture site is bandaged with proper bandage after drawing blood.
- Samples are secured in tubes for further laboratory tests.
We make sure to keep patient as comfortable and relaxed as possible during this procedure.